Wednesday, June 25, 2008

m's roundup


(This is not just any pomegranate.
This is the first fruit of the tree my mom
planted nearly two years ago.
It was even yummier than it looks.)


I decided the other day that instead of adding a disturbing number of "Posted Items" to my facebook profile, I will do this:

From an excellent friend and fellow mommy, I got an email with a link to this article about a boy who drowned hours after swimming, in his own bed. Oy, shivers down my spine. Dry drowning? How horrific. And I take my toddler to the beach once a week or more. Then while reading the RSS feed for one of my favorite mind-candyish sites, the Urban Legends Reference Pages, I found this explanation of the difference between dry drowning and secondary drowning, which at first made me feel much better, then not so much.

I'd heard of the infamous daisy ad, but had never actually seen it. (I heart youtube.) As creepy as it is, to me it looks totally modern in spite of its being older than I am. (I am a sucker for black and white.) Tony Schwartz, creator of this ad, passed away last week. I heart wikipedia.

The new Governor of New York State (you know, the blind West Indian guy who replaced Eliot Spitzer after that unfortunate hooker incident), has pardoned Slick Rick. Slick Rick is British. Who knew?

I love the Vanity Fair online archives. (Scroll down the menu on the left.) If you missed, say, "Shattered Glass" when it was published in 1998, you can read it now.

Firefox rules, in spite of technical difficulties.

I'm not one for gratuitous derisiveness towards lawyers, but this is ridiculous. A group of lawyers are suing Rockstar Games, the makers of Grand Theft Auto, because the game includes some very sexy easter eggs. They are disappointed because of the millions of people who bought the game, fewer than 3,000 have filed a claim. It apparently has not occurred to these chuckleheads that people who purchased Grand Theft Auto are probably not easily offended. For more madness from the U.S. legal system, read this.

The White House sticks fingers in ears and says to the EPA: If you're talking I can't hear you! Classic.

Hulk Hogan needs to stop talking. My two favorite gossip blogs, The Superficial and What Would Tyler Durden Do? say it all.

3 comments:

Bobiago said...

M, where do you find this stuff? About Jon Jon the 'dry drowner' someone needs to mention that those arm flotation devices are really dangerous because they give a false sense of security. Although they may look sexy, the only thing that they do is keep the wrists and elbows above water.

maria said...

I'm an avid fan of Google Reader; that's where I found most of that stuff.

I am *not* a fan of water wings. I think that those who don't know how to swim should either learn or stay the heck out of the water.

Jdid said...

sweet!

ok dry drowning is scary and thanks for the heads up on slick ricks pardon. way to go !